Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Westlake Park

I finally made it into the gigantic park that I live across the street from. I went there on July 4th and then again a few nights ago. I was trying to get a good run in, but there were a TON of people in the park and it was just after 9pm. The Chinese families love to go out dancingandwalking around at night.There were even several pagodas that had karaoke style singing and a one had a full band.
The lake is lit up every night until 10 or 11 on weekends. I took some really interesting pictures of the lights along with some fantastic 80's looking power walking. I just wish I had my purple crinkle socks and sweatbands! But, even without the insane outfit, I didn't mind that everyone was staring at my ridiculous walking... because they stare at me anyway.
I am 'la why'-- a derogatory term for a foreign white person. I have become quite accustomed to hearing that wherever I am. Us foreigners tend to travel in packs and it is quite a sight to see such an eclectic group of people together.

So other news, I will
actually be moving to the other side of the lake with a different teacher, English Ben. He is in one of the photos in my earlier posts. I moved a bunch of my stuff yesterday and the plan was to just take a taxi to the new place.
When I went down out of my apartment with a stuffed suitcase and duffle bag, dripping with sweat, I was stopped by a woman who was yelling at me in Chinese. I obviously still do not speak or understand enough to really communicate, but I think she was telling me I couldn't get a taxi with my bags, and to stand over in a different place. Then some random guy pulled up seeing the commotion and I told him where I was going "may high youen" (when I sound these out, its not the actual pinyin, it's just my rudimentary attempt at chinese phonetics) and then this random stranger popped his trunk and I put my bags in. Yes, I know all of you are screaming at the computer... "Cally you are an idiot!" But I have started to trust my instincts more than the crazy factor. Crazy stuff happens all the time here. Anyway, he dropped me off near my new apartment and I gave him 10 yuan for helping. It would have been the same if I had actually taken a taxi. I am about half moved in right now and slowly finishing up the packing around my old apartment. I think though, I will be taking the bus to finish up the rest of the packing. I don't know how lucky I can get two days in a row with the whole random man in a black car and telling him where I live.




No comments:

Post a Comment